Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Caucus

In my previous post I made mention of the fact that I might be attending my county's Caucus this past weekend. Well it took place on Saturday and yours truly did decide to go. However, it wasn't quite how I imagined it to be. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was definitely eye opening as to the lack of political participation that goes on in my community, and many others as well. It's no wonder why America is in the condition that it is right now.

Caucusing, in case you've never partaken of the event, is really very easy. Although intimidating the first time up. Let's face it people I have a lot going on and my interest in all things political has been waning lately so I could have felt more prepared if I had the time, but still it's not anything that if you hold to your party's, and communities interests that you can't figure out. Basically you show up, sit with your precinct and discuss the issues that you want to have addressed and how you'll pick a candidate to back in the upcoming election. That's it in a nutshell.

So what happened? Well I ended up being the ONLY person from my precinct that showed up. Now I know I live in a small town, and a liberal state, but really people that was a little sad. So here I am a political novice, albeit "enthusiast" and the only one in her precinct to show up. . . "Coupeville we have a problem."

So I got to decide the plank points that we stand for and want to have brought before the Island County delegates in April. Oh yeah, because I was the only one that showed I got the added enjoyment of getting to be a delegate too. And because BBC was represented well there are 5 of us that will be going as delegates there's me (obviously), Tim, Bro. Dolan, Sherri, and Vicki. Levi will be a delegate as well, but he votes in a different county so he can't be counted for us. However, some of the precincts are small and had we had many more members present BBC could have easily had more than half of the delegates at the county convention. Why do I say all this? Because the principles and values that America was founded on are being lost and even ignored because those with religious and, more importantly, Biblical principles are not getting involved. Whether you like it or not America was founded by men who believed in the Bible and had values that held to the fairness, betterment, and justice of society and apathy is the cancer that will cause us to loose this country and the values that have been its foundation for hundreds of years. That's not a political slight at the opposition that's just fact. People need to get involved otherwise those in positions of power will run rank and file over the rest because they see that people don't care. They will set their agenda and there will be nothing that we can do about it. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I'm happy to have lived in this country and value the freedoms that I've been allowed to have just because I was born here. Ladies and gentlemen know this, if you don't show up you don't get a say in what happens. And if you'll pardon the pun on GI Joe "Showing is half the battle."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin