Saturday, July 11, 2009

The heavens declare the glory of God

Tonight I sit typing this out with only the glow of my laptop screen before me. Not because I have no power, if that were the case I wouldn't be online as I have no wi-fi, but rather because I am privileged to enjoy the spectacular show in the sky that God is blessing us with right now on the island.

Sometime around 9 o'clock this evening a cloud, much unlike anything that I've encountered before, enveloped Coupeville. I heard the thunder in the distance at first, but didn't pay much attention to it because of the other night. See when the Navy is doing touch and goes from one of their runways out here we can sometimes hear the turning of the engines in the distance, which can sometimes sound like natures stomach growling. So like I said, I really didn't pay it much mind. However, when I left my apartment to go into town to run an errand I found out much differently.

The sunset was red, what I could see of it that is. The glow of the sky was hidden by a behemoth of a black cloud with wisps of rain at it's edge. It seemed like something out of the Old Testament, you know when God gets ready to smite the heathen. With only just a hint of rain I decided to take my chance and venture into O.H. Ummm, this ended up to not be the wisest of all decisions. No sooner had turned onto HWY 20, then the sky lit up with a flash of lightening. The bolt crackled through the sky, like a whip lashing out at the fields that I was passing by, which was shortly followed by an even bigger flash that literally made my heart stop for a second, and I quickly looked to my side with a startled sense of my surroundings. Did I return home? No. Instead I rolled on forward to town in the giant electricity conductor that I was driving. All I can say in my defense is that I'm a girl that likes a thrill, and seeing as my jump is still 2 weeks away (can you believe that), I figure I owe it to myself to really "live".

The irony is that today there was not a cloud to be seen in the sky. I was in Seattle at the Zoo and it was crystal clear out, I even think I started to make headway on getting rid of the farmers tan that's been plaguing me by finally getting some color on my shoulders. It's been quite the show this evening. I know I'll sleep great tonight as I usually do when the weather gets stormy like this.

It also made me relish in the promise of Revelation 1:7 ~ Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Oh, to see that show one day!

1 comment:

countrygirl85 said...

Way to live life on the edge ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin