Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sonnet 116

I am a fan of Shakespeare! I know that in certain circles there is a controversy about whether or not he actually wrote his own prose, I studied it in my Shakespeare class in HS, but besides that point he's just fun to read. Seriously, once you get into the rhythm of the language it's a lot of fun, and challenging. So I'm sharing my favorite sonnet from the esteemed author. In one of my literature classes, about 10 years ago, I had to pick one to memorize and recite it in front of the class (of course it had to be recited with the correct emphasis and drama). But I like it because it's earnest. There's no pretense involved in it. It's just honest, and I think that in our own hearts this is how we all feel about those we love and hope that they feel about us. I'm not sharing it to be overly sentimental, and I have no one right now to share it with specifically, I just like it. So here it is for me to share with you. And just so you know, I am typing it from memory:)


Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds,
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin