Saturday, May 21, 2011

WOW this thing is GREAT!!!


Seriously it is!!! If you don't know what it is let me enlighten you. It's called Roku. It's a wireless entertainment box and my Dad got it for me for my Birthday. I initially liked the idea of getting one simply so I could stream Netflix from my TV instead of my laptop all the time. But let me tell you it's so much more.

It took me about a week or so to get up the energy to want to set it up because initially I thought I would have to plug it into my router which would constitute me rearranging my furniture & not something I was really keen on. In a place as small as mine you want to maximize your space as much as possible and once the furinuture goes down you don't want to move it (I now have to re-evaluate the BR setup...but that's another story, for another time). However, in the process of the set up I realized that I could setit up wirelessly to my router & then that made me want to use it even more, not to mention I could still keep everything in it's place.

So after the set up, I connected it to my Netflix and then realized that Roku has it's own channels that you can subscribe to. Some you have to pay for, but they also have quite a few free ones that are actually pretty useful. Like I was able to connect my Pandora (music) account to their Pandora channel & have music play through my TV, totally cool! Lest anyone thing that Pandora is strictly for "popular" music, I happen to have my stations setup for classical, hymns, musicals & opera, so there is quite a variety. And it's come in quite nicely today as I've commenced my Saturday cleaning. I haven't had to stop & switch CD's etc. It's really nice. I also downloaded some more spiritual channels, like thier Sermon Audio channel! Now I can also listen to sermons that my church, and others like ours, have downloaded. It was a little weird last night when I was scrolling through the information and I ran accross Pastor Sargent & Pastor Jeremiah's pictures from their Sermon Audio accounts. Haven't found Bro. Geist on their yet, but I there's time for that. The one channel that I did opt to pay for is called The Streaming Bible,  I can listen to the Bible being read anytime I want. It was pretty neat last night just to check it out and to have it on in the background. Scrolling thought their radio channel was also pretty interesting, because now I can listen to my talk radio through my TV as well. Gone is the static of my antenna! Definitely a fun "toy" to get. And just so you readers know, no you don't need a fancy LCD or HDTV for it to work. I'm using my old tube TV for it. Thanks to my Dad for thinking of it. I'll never pay for cable again after this.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I've heard those little boxes were great. At the moment I'm putting a little $$ aside for one. We'll see though, I keep talking myself out of one every week.

Cove Girl said...

Hi Lori,
Yeah I was doing the same thing to myself. I used to have a roommate with a Wii and we would watch Netflix off of that which was how I got hooked. After I moved out I was thinking about it, but I could always talk myself out of it because of one bill or another to apply the money too. This is way better than watching anything on the Wii though. I also like it because I don't have to deal with many commercials and I can filter out anything that I otherwise would not want to entertain myself with. Trust me, I'm FAR from spoiled, but my Dad does like to try and get me things that I wouldn't otherwise purchase for myself. I'm very appreciative of the the fact that he takes notice of those things from time to time. If you decide to purchase it I think you'll like it.

Anonymous said...

vegna ekki:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin