Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out of the mouth of babes

Most of the time my work is pretty mundane. I create ads for publications and enter information into my companies various data bases, I answer phones and take messages, and I copy and scan various information that is pertinent to the boat that my company sells. I like my job, that's not really what this post is about though, because today part of my job involved child care. And I wouldn't really say anything except for the fact that a 3 year old brought up the difference in our attire, which if you've been following my blog of late, you know that this is my new passion (read the two posts below to find out more).

It was a simple conversation, if anything. He pointed to his pants, or as he called them "his shorts", and then pointed to my skirt and said "Your shorts are different." To which I pointed out, "This is a skirt. I don't wear shorts. I wear skirts". I purposefully chose not to say it in the context of boys wear this and girls wear that because I know that's not what he sees at home, and I'm not about to alienate my coworkers in an office that small, and for a 3 year old all that really matters is that he noticed a difference. Ahh ha. . .the first point in my devotion, the distinction that dress give us as women. Normally this would probably not be such a revelation in the circle that I'm in, but for a boy that only sees me maybe once every 3 or 4 months and whose family does not attend church his observation was notable, if simply for the fact that it made me feel satisfied to point the difference out to him.

Like I said it's my new passion and any chance I get to talk about it or inform people on it, I'll take it.

2 comments:

Renee said...

What a wonderful opportunity to testify for the Lord! I'm so grateful to see your heart for the Lord in this area, which can be a difficult one in our culture.

I just googled the history of pants, and thought you'd like this link....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/54701/the_history_of_pants_and_women_wearing.html

countrygirl85 said...

That's pretty cool that even a 3 yr old can see it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin