Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I love words

If you've followed my blog for any length of time, or even if you just happened upon it, you know, or shall come to know that I love words! LOVE THEM! and any new one that I can learn and share I will. Usually I get hooked on them by the way they sound when I hear once they leave the speakers mouth. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but if I've never heard it before and I like it's sound, and especially if it seems like I can use it in a future sentence I'll learn it.

This habit started very early on in my life, I think back in 1st or 2nd grade, when after pestering my mom for the meanings of words she introduced me to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary. It's safe to say my verbal life since then has never been the same. Looking up the meanings of word also has come in handy when a dear friend of mine, now residing in TX, would ask me the definition of a word and I could usually give her the definition off the bat. Words, especially if they're edifying, just make life better. So yes, if you guessed correctly I have a new word. I heard it this morning on Good Morning America when Dr. Oz was describing an excuse a patient was giving him as to why he was not exercising, post heart surgery.

Cogent (koh-juhnt)
Part of speech: adjective
Etymology: Latin cogent-, cogens, present participle of cogere to drive together, collect, from co- + agere to drive
1. Convincing or believable by virtue of forcible, clear, or incisive presentation; telling.
2. To the point; relevant; pertinent.

So at least the patient was being honest with the Dr. and not trying to feed him a line. Most Dr's are astute enough to weed through the excuses anyway. You're fooling no one but yourself when you try to snow the Dr.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin