Friday, June 12, 2009

The Morning Hour

This poem was sent to me by my good friend Laura.

About 5 years ago I was on deployment in Japan. My first det to Diego Garcia, 2 years prior, didn't go well for me and I was anxious as to what the 6 months gone from my church and friends would bring me. However, Shannon and some of the gals got together to send me notes of encouragement while I was gone. Six of my friends each had a month that they were in charge of and at the beginning of every month I would receive a big FAT envelope, or box, filled with notes and cards to encourage me daily. Basically I had a new card or letter to open everyday. Most all of it was filled with scripture and each one of my friends found a unique way of encouraging my heart while I was a way. Let me tell you deployment flew right by, and I even got back home the day before Thanksgiving! Talk about being thankful.

I enjoy the poem below a lot, and it was one of the things that I kept from that time away. I hope that you all enjoy it too.

The Morning Hour
Alone with God, in quiet peace,
From earthly cares I find release;
New strength I borrow for each day
As there with God, I stop and pray.

Alone with God, my sins confessed
He speaks in mercy, I am blest.
I know the kiss of pardon free,
I talk to God, He talks to me.

Alone with God, my vision clears
I see my guilt, the wasted years
I plead for grace to walk His way
And live for Him, from day to day.

Alone with God no sin between
His lovely face so plainly seen;
My guilt all gone, my heart at rest
With Christ, my Lord, my soul is blest.

Lord, keep my life alone for thee;
From sin and self, lord, set me free.
And when no more this earth I trod
They’ll say, "She walked alone with God.

I think a person can only hope that the last words are spoken of them one day.

For those that have family members or loved ones serving overseas, I really encourage you to consider doing the same thing. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats mail call for a person in the military (just ask them). And to have something to open every day, well the words are to overwhelming. I realize that may be difficult for some, especially if they are only able to carry a ruck sack, or are on the move a lot, but I encourage you to try.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin