Friday, June 5, 2009

A new favorite

I have a favorite thing simple as it is I feel I must impose my thought's on it into the blogosphere.

If you've known me for any length of time you know that once upon a time, when I was in the Navy, you know that I was lucky enough to live in Sicily for a couple of years. Some might argue that point, but for a gal that loves to travel living overseas, for me, was the highlight of my five years. Granted I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not been chained to the front gate, and subsequent out posts, but all in all I can't really complain about it. A lot of my buddies from that time are still sacrificing time away from their loved ones in order to protect US interests and for that they deserve all the respect in the world.

Anyway, due to my time spent in Sicily there was certain food fare that I came to enjoy quite a lot. The sad irony is that most of that food I can no longer eat because of Celiacs disease. The joy of a sweet Canoli, spilling over with chocolate or pistachio filling or a hot savory Calzone, oozing with sauce and cheese are not mine to have. I do miss a real Pannini too, no not the little flat sandwiches that you can now lamely buy at a Starbucks near you, but a real Pannini, filled to the brim and stuffed with anything that you can think of. Seriously, nothing beats the Pannini carts in Catania. But I digress, beacause like my friend Levi says, I might turn into a pillar of gluten like Lots wife did for looking back on what she was leaving in Sodom (it's our own little joke).

However, one of the things that I did learn to appreciate over in the med was olives, no not the kind that you have to use a can opener to get at (I hate those kind), but the real kind, you know the ones that have been aging in brine. My favorites are Kalamata olives and tonight while getting some stuff to make a salad for dinner, I had some left over steak that I needed to use and that was a perfect post cardio dinner, I found the below salad dressing on the shelf at the local super market. It was awesome! It's a creamy vinagrette, so a little goes a long way.

In one word it's simply, Delicious! I think I found a keeper. Ranch may go with everything (I think it's a better condiment that katchup), but sometimes it's OK to break out of a rut. Consider my salad dressing rut broken.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin