Friday, February 27, 2009

Depression Cooking with Clara

I saw this on Good Morning America this morning and I just loved the idea. Simple food for simple times. Clara is a 91 year old woman that was talked into doing these YouTube videos by her grandson. It's ironic to think about how two generations, separated by years and technology, have been able to meet in the middle with a common goal of being thrifty. Which is something that everyone has an interest in these days. Minus the bread recipe and with a modified pasta recipe I think I can probably do most of these since they all seem to encompass potatoes.

More than the recipes I enjoy the fact that her grandson has her sharing her memories of the depression and how she and her family lived through that time. I'm thinking about randomly posting more of her videos just so that people get to see them all.



It reminds me of the time that I complained about having crust on my bread, in front of my Grandma Margie when she had come out to CA for a visit. My mom was making me lunch and I was pretty particular about how I liked my bread cut. Cut diagonally into quarters, and very important there must be no crust on it. Well my mom left the crust on this one time and I whined about it, my mom told me to give her the sandwich and as I started to pass the plate to her my Grandma stopped me, stared me right in the eye and told me that the crust was perfectly OK to eat and that I was going to eat it.
So I choked down the sandwich with a lump of tears in my throat and never complained about food in front of my Grandma again. My Grandma was never really one for correcting us in front my parents, that I remember, but I do remember this incident, like it was yesterday. I understand her wisdom in saying that to me now,and it was well deserved, but as a child the reproof of my grandmother was something that devastated me. Ironically, I can no longer eat bread anymore, or at least loafs in the traditional wonder bread sense of the word. Eternal punishment for shunning crust all those years.
I know it;)

I'll be staying tuned to Clara and her wisdom.


Proverbs 31:14
She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.





I hope I'm this functional and sweet when I'm in my 90's.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin