Monday, February 2, 2009

#2 on my list, Cook 15 new dishes (#5)

This is a sure fire winner! No one who has eaten this dish suspects that it's GF. Also, for those of you who know the Glovers, I've been told by 2 people so far that they like my Mac & Cheese better than Corey's. For those of you who don't know the Glover's, Corey is a cook by trade, so it's a compliment. Anyway, I've been procrastinating in posting this recipe. I made it while at home for Christmas, but I never wrote the recipe out and posted it.

The first time I made this dish, however, I was making it for an SPG get together that we were having. We had to come up with a dish for "family favorites". Basically recipes that were our family's favorite that we want to carry on a tradition with. Well, my family favorite was probably Pierogies while I was growing up. However, GF Pierogies are really expensive, and right now I don't have the time to work out the ratios of flour that I would need in order to make themfrom scratch. I was stumped for other reasons too, but that was the biggest one. So I decided to just make a recipe that thought would potentially make a good family dinner one day. Like I said, it was the first tim I had made it so my friends swere going to be total guinea pigs, but there were no complaints! The only thing, that I thought of afterward was that I should have put Kali's oven on warn so that the dish would be warmed when served, but other than that it was perfect. Even Chris, who is notorious for making a stink when eating anything GF, liked it. So obviously it fit into the "family favorite" category.

A couple of weeks ago I had my friend Sherri over for dinner and I made this for her. She's not a big fan for this dish, which I didn't know before hand, but I think I've sold her on it. She really liked it!!! I served it with a fresh veggie filled salad and homemade Italian dressing.

Tonight I made it for dinner, which will last me basically all week, except this time I wanted to try it with Pepper Jack cheese, and honestly I can't tell a difference. There's a slight bite to it, but it's not as spicy as I would like.

I don't really have a catchy name for this recipe yet, so if you can think of one let me know and I'll consider changing it.



Super Cheesy Mac & Cheese

Ingredients
2c. of GF penne or elbow pasta
8oz. of cheddar cheese

Sauce
3/4c. of milk
2 eggs
1 TBSP of corn or potato starch
3/4 tsp. of salt
4oz. of Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cook pasta according to directions on the box. Rise and set aside.

3. This step is optional if you're shredding your cheese from a bar. I usually get mine from a bag. If your shredding your own cheese, this is where you'd want to do that. Shred 10oz. of cheese (put 2 aside for topping) and also shred the 4oz. of whatever Jack cheese you choose. You'll need it for step 4.

4. In a microwave bowl combine the sauce ingredients. Microwave in 20 second intervals until the cheese is melted and sauce is slightly thickened. The frequent stirring is needed so as to avoid any scrambled egg effect.

5. Combine the pasta, sauce, and the 8oz of cheddar cheese. Mix well and pur into an 8x8 casserole dish. If you want to use a 9x5 dish double the recipe.

6.Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After the timer goes off uncover and put the 2oz. you set aside on top for more baking, then put back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, until the top is a golden brown. Honestly I use more cheese then just the 2oz. I like my Mac & Cheese really cheesy. Hence the recipes current name. Then serve it hot. You won't be disappointed:)

1 comment:

Primetime Babyboomers said...

Yep, that is what it looks like and very yummy to the tummy! Better than mac and cheese from the blue box and Corey, you just got to try this recipe. For not being a mac and cheese girl, this meal was great! I want to try it out on Steve so thanks for posting the recipe! Yummy, yummy to the tummy, yummy, yummy to the tummy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin