Thursday, April 24, 2008

#27 on my list, Try 30 new dishes (#1)

The other day in my Spanish class we had a moment of culture getting to try different food from the Spanish culture, or as they would say 'la comida'. Anyway, I got to try Ceviche. Ceviche is a seafood dish by which the seafood is cooked by marinating in the acidity of different juices like lemon juice, and vinegar (used as a substitute for wine since I don't drink). It's a simple enough dish, but it takes a while to make just because it has to marinate for so long. The only thing that I would have done differently, if I had made it, would be to use rice vinegar or something that would be clear. The guy that made it used balsamic vinegar. Now balsalmic vinegar is good on salads or things that look OK being brown, but really there's nothing that's looks OK about brown seafood. Seriously I know some of the best cooks around are men, my dad I qualifies since he did a lot of cooking for us growing up, but someone really should have been with this guy in the kitchen baby sitting him. I also would have served it with lettuce or something that would make it as a salad dish, instead of chips so that it reduced the dish to a dip. However, brown seafood and chip aside, it is a delicious dish and it definitely falls in the realm of my dietary restrictions. I'll post the recipe for it soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin