Monday, April 7, 2008

#18 on my list, Put together 30 new Sunday school lessons (#1)

This one has taken me a while to decide how I'd like to write these particular entries. I have a tendancy to get on a soapbox, and lecturing is not something that I'd like to do with these entries. Not to mention that these lessons contain only what the Lord has showed me, and there are many times that he uses the same pieces of scripture to show people different lessons in life, and in their walk with him. Also because I want to protect my girls anonymity as they are all well under age. So what I've decided to do is to just simply give the title of the lesson that I prepared, the scriptures that I prepared it from, a brief synopsis of the lesson, and one thing that the Lord showed me while preparing the lesson. Because if I re-wrote my whole lesson it would take me another week, and I just don't have that kind of time.

Lesson #1

Topic: Showing our love through our service
This particularly concerns showing our love for Christ through our service to other (family, friends, our church). Which goes with my churches theme for this month, which is, Looking beyond ourselves to the needs of our family.

Scriptures: John 13:1-17, 34-35 & Luke 22:1-2, 7-13 (The story of Jesus serving the disciples as he washes their feet at the Passover supper, prior to his crucifiction)

Synopsis: By serving one another and giving of our time selflessly, we (Christians) are able to show others the same love that Christ showed to us.

What the Lord revealed to me: Even though we may have "important" responsibilities, if we can't, or choose not to, sacrifice our own time to serve someone who is in need, then the service and effort that Christ gave to us is in vain. For it states clearly in his second commandment that we are to "love our neighbor as ourself". And this is found in all 4 of the gospels. So I think it would be kinda important, right?

Mark 12:30,31
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin