Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fun with Photography

Some of you may know, but probably most reading this don't know, that I've recently been asked by my friend Amy to take photos for her wedding. Her Dad has a Nikon D50 that he's letting me use, which is way fun!!! (I found a new toy I want)

But I digress.

When Amy first asked me I was a bit hesitant. I mean lets face it as women we can become nuts when it comes to planning important events such as a wedding. The details that we worry about can be maddening, and in the desire to not permanently ruin a friendship with my own ego I had to take the time to think about it. Well I thought, and most importantly prayed about the decision, and finally concluded that I would like to be a blessing for my financially prudent friends.

Well anyone who has looked at the professional portfolios of photographers can see all the fun colors and effects that they offer, which is usually part of the reason that they are so pricey, and that is what we females fall in love with. Imagining the fun and whimsy of the day and wanting to capture the soft light to match the inside of our heart. Ahhh, I can only imagine at this point....

However, ladies for those of you that are willing to brave the unknown, and test the goodness of your friends generosity, I think that you too can partake in the fun that professional photographers offer. Why do I say this? Because recently I have come across a slew of free photo editing programs that will be able to do just that. Here are the ones that I plan on using to help make Amy's photos just as special as the $1500+ packages offer:
Picnik

Most of them have the same features, however, there are naturally some they don't have, which is why I've decided to work with them all. There's one feature that I haven't been able to find yet, but that's what google's for after all.

So in an effort to test them out I took some photos, old and new alike, to test them out and see what kind of magic I could work out and here's what I came up with. I chose pink because that's Amy's color.


Graduated Tint
Focal softening w/pink tint Everyone loves Sepia Clear Tile effectFocal Zoom
(I think it gives the affect of actual motion)
Matte finish w/pink frameFrosted Glass This is Amy & Kali our first year in St. Louis
at the Science center. B&W w/a touch of color
After seeing all these fun tools I'm really starting to look forward this task. It's right around the corner.

I just figured it out!!!! Remember how I said up top that I still had one last effect to figure out. Well, I just did:) It is the coveted B&W with a bit of color to it. Amy...if you're reading this you lucked out big time, now I just need to make sure I get some good shots.



4 comments:

countrygirl85 said...

I like the last shot the best. Awesome work Carolyn, can't wait to see what you're creative mind can come up with this September.

Jersey Mama said...

Very nice! I really like the focal zoom.

countrygirl85 said...

OO you've added two more shots

Cove Girl said...

Yeah I did:) I love playing with the B&W w/color now that I know how too. Yeah, I know I'm obsessive.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin